Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Must Have Apps (According to Me)

Among my friends I'm considered as a tech savvy person, and so I find myself often recommending them what apps to use. I'm an iPhone 5 user, as I found iOS easier to handle than Android (ok, I've got very frustrated with my old HTC, but it was old, and I believe that Android is much more "comfortable" now), so no all of the apps reviewed below can be accessible for Android, however most popular apps is supported by both.

My usage of course changes over time, I tend to install lots of cool "sounding" apps that I end up not using, but I won't write about these (unless it will be a warning such as "total waste of time and space"). So here it goes:


1. Facebook - I'm a FB user, and this is where I get most of my communication now. So for me the FB app is a must. It's not bad, though I wish they at last managed two things: allow flipping the screen to horizontal view and built-in the messenger into it (not a separate app). 



2. Sleep Time (Paid) - I rarely buy apps, but if it's promising I just might. Sleep time so far seems to work well, I don't feel more refreshed when it wakes me up, but I do enjoy tracking my sleep, and that seems very accurate with this up, and offer many graphs and comparisons. If it only gave some advice (example how to change my sleeping habits for better).


3. Line - that messenger might be only popular in Asia, but now everyone here uses it. It's cute (I love the Bear and Bunny stickers), and offers free calls and file sharing. But I think the winner aspect is just... cute. 

4. Google Maps - if I need to find my way when outside (as long as there's 3G connection access) I use Google Maps. They will show me where I am, and the "dot" will move with you, so it works as GPS system when driving too. 

5. P Tracker Lite - for the girls, cute and easy to use free period tracker. Not much to add really, but it worked well for me over 3 years now (used to use it on ipod touch, data is in cloud, so when started using iPhone, it was still there).

6. IFTTT - this magic apps claims to do a lot for you. I am still trying to figure it out, but mostly I use it to automatize photo transfer to my google drive, where I pay for storage. But it's very interesting, and I do recommend trying it. The idea is, you create tiny "programs" that automatize tasks between various apps on your device. Example: you can set your e-mail app to send an e-mail to you if there's a rain forecast in your area for the next day (never forget the umbrella again).

7. Instagram and Line Camera - other than the built-in iOS app, I use these two. Line Camera for the cute stickers, and Instagram for best and easiest to apply filters. I've tried other apps, but I must say that Instagram still gives better results. The only problem with it is that it is THE hipster app.
8. Skype - one of the basics apps to have... I've never tried FaceTime because not many of my friends/family has iPhones, but most importantly - my parents can only use Skype. 

9. Plant Nanny - one of newer additions, but I have been using it daily for 3 weeks now, and plan to keep using it forever. It's a cute game that generally makes sure you will drink enough per day. It's simple as that. Some people argue that coffee or alcohol are liquids but shouldn't count, as they can actually dehydrate, but compared to my life before Plant Nanny, I drink much more water. Did I mention it's cute?

10. Endomondo - I've used to use Nike+, but then I lost it a few times, and obviously I've changed shoes, and so on. Endomondo also allows to track all kind of sports, not only running, and it gives you so much insight (distance, speed, elevation, kcal burned, etc.), so recently I always use it on my long bike rides. Quite a few of my friends uses it too, so it has some social media nature to it too. It's pretty reliable, and I hope to get a heart rate monitor one day to go with it for even more accurate data. What is important, my iPhone battery can live through 4 hours of GPS tracking with it, which is quite amazing.

11. Yogify (Paid) - as you can see through my app choices, I've decided that my phone will be my gym (as I left gym a year ago). So I invest in good apps for workout. Yogify is good - the directions are clear, it offers many programs, own calming music. I just roll out my mat in bedroom and turn it on. I just wish they had more slow paced classes to choose, instead they offer more energetic yoga type. Still, I use it 1-2 times a week.

12. NTC (Nike Training Club) - best workout app, seriously. It's clear, the coaching is amazing, and it's FREE! Many trainings to choose from. But it's quite intensive, you will sweat like a little pig, so I am not always in a mood to do it, but it is good, and I highly recommend it.

13. Lolo 7 Minutes (Paid) - I've bought it recently, because NTC usually has 30-45 min workouts, and I already know myself, I am not that motivated. So I'm trying Lolo 7 min app, I doubt it will make me slim and all, but at least it makes me move everyday. Somehow 7 min a day it's easier that 45 min once a week. Other than that I like it for clarity, coaching, the fact that I can change 1 exercise from the pack. I have actually purchased another lolo exercise app (Boot camp) but haven't had time/motivation to try it yet. 

14. Drop 7 - for a change a game app. I hardly play on my phone now, but drop 7 by Zynga is really a simple puzzle game, but one that I could play for hours. Good time killer for train rides.


15. Spirit Stones - me and my boyfriend were quite addicted to this one, and have already finished all levels. We wait for a big update from the developer now to keep playing. It's fantasy-like card game connected to puzzle game. Hard to describe, but you just want to get more and more card (of sexy ladies in skimpy fantasy costumes) while killing monsters by quite simple puzzle game. 

16. Pocket - this is a cross-device app, I use it on Google Chrome at work and at home, and can access it on my phone too. Generally, it's like having your browser "favorites" on the cloud. Instead of saving pages to favorites, I save them to pocket, so I can read them later. 

17. Evernote - I am writing this note in my desktop Evernote software, I could do it in the browser or on the phone, and they will be all synced in. I often put shopping/to-do list or recipes in it, so I can access it while doing grocery shopping or when cooking in my kitchen. Evernote can give you as much as you put in first, but overall - worth to try.

18. Jango - from many on-line radios, I like this one (recommended to me by my boyfriend first). It's simple, free, and let's you choose different types of music, plus suggest some small bands as well. 

19. Taptalk - it's a forum client. I use it for Forumosa, and it's quite convenient to read through the post or even reply straight from your phone. I am not sure what other forums it supports though.

20. Currents - news app, you can choose different news "channel" and view them in there. Very intuitional and "smooth". Works best for internations/US news though (for example not many Polish channels, for Polish news I use Onet's app). 

21. Kindle - I'm a Kindle fan, on all devices. And I do read my books (beautifully synced) on all of them, including my phone. It's very simple, so there's not really much to say. Compared to other reading apps I've tried in the past, it's most convenient and easy on my eyes.

22. Triptomatic - I don't use it often, however I've used it the last time I've traveled, and it was great! Exactly what I needed to plan my trip and to keep this plan in my pocket. I could create a schedule on a map, with locations I wanted to visit (chosen from their database or added by me), and once on the trip, I could use this map to find way to these places just as if it was Google Maps.

23. Allrecipes Pro (Paid) - as I am more and more interested in cooking, I've decided to pay for a good cooking app. Allrecipes is one of biggest recipe databases in the world, and the app is very conevnient (finding recipes through ingredients, creating shopping list). I often use it while planning a meal, while shopping for groceries and while cooking (in my kitchen).

24. Vine - it lets you record and share 10 s video. It's like gifs with voice. I don't really record them myself, but when bored I like to browse the comedy and the cat categories. It can be quite funny. It's like a video Twitter.

25. Argus - started using recently, and this is now my daily health app. Basically it's a pedometer - it tracks your step count. It also allows you to track other things too - water intake (here water, tea, coffee, alcohol are all different categories), food, sleep (connects to Sleep Time), exercise and so on. You can set your goals and the app will motivate you. However, once I get my Fitbit Flex band, I will switch to fitbit app for this kind of tracking. Big plus of argus - it's free, however I feel my battery is dying faster since I've started using it.

I do like gadgets, and I do like to try new apps. I believe a smartphone, that is actually quite powerful computer, can make so many greater things in our lives, if we can just stop playing angry birds on it (personally, I'm not a big fan of the birds). I am especially excited about the wearable devices (such as mentioned fitbit or its competitor Jawbone UP) and apps that will work with them. Technology is just a tool, and it's up to us how we use it.

What are the apps you use daily? What would you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment